Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week 2 and Week 3 roundup!

I wanted the updates to be weekly but I guess I am falling behind my targets. Luckily though this doesn't apply to the running and I am quite on track.

Week 2
I covered about 20 miles which was a little bit disappointing but I was suffering from a stomach infection which prevented me from running any serious distance. We are also in one of the hottest summers US is having for a long time. The trouble with summers is that I can get in only about an hour and half of running in relative outdoor comfort. This time is from 7-830 in the evening. Anything earlier and the sun is too oppressive and beyond 830 the traffic and the fading light make running on sidewalks a really risky affair.

Week 3
This by far has been the best running week not only in terms of miles covered but also in terms of the things I am beginning to understand about my body. I am also getting closer to proper running schedule.

Earlier running was just putting my shoes on and trying to cover as much as distance as I can and as many times as I can in a week. This isn't the smartest way of running. These days I am trying to run for 4 times a week may be 5 but definitely not more than that. As the miles covered in a day increase I am beginning to appreciate the importance of a rest day.

As I begin to refine my schedule, I am also looking for signals that my body gives. For reasons unknown to me yet, I feel the most tired on a Thursday evening, so I plan not to run on Thursdays. I am trying to keep my long runs on the weekend plus 2-3 running days on the weekend... so something like Mon-Wed-Frid-Sun or something like that. I want to use this schedule and increase the mileage upto 30-35 miles a week.

Week 3 mileage was about 23 miles which included four days of running. I also ran my longest run on Friday-8.2 mies in about 1hr 40 mins (which included a 10 min break)...The time is something to boast about but this was my first 100 min long run. I was surprised that I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be and I has enough fuel for a couple of more miles. I resisted the temptation to avoid an injury.

The idea is to cover about 50 miles in the next two weeks combined and include a ten miler in this.

Signing off





No comments:

Post a Comment