Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Week 1 Round Up!

Last week is what I will call my first week of serious running in the US. This is also the first week of running outside... well almost. On Sunday I ran on the treadmill but for the next four days Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday I ran out in the open. Over here I mostly have to run on the sidewalks...so my attention is in a way divided between dodging the traffic (its not that bad though) , searching for the exact song I want to be played at that time on my Ipod and checking my speed, heart rate, miles covered (its takes ages for this one 2 move), fat burnt all at one go. And you would have guessed it by now- I bought a new uber cool sports watch... but more on that in another post sometime.
I have charted a route of my own.. for atleast a few weeks till I can run more... I start from my hotel and turn on to what is called Broad Street though it doesnt seem to be particularly broad..may be they named it after one Mr Broad :)... The next few minutes of running are a lesson in marketing... Target, KFC, Traders Joe, Longhorn Steakhouse,McDonalds and by the time I reach Walmart which is around 1 mile from my hotel, I have a definite idea of how this run is likely to be. By this time my legs let me know whether they are going to give me a hard time or behave like good children. I usually try to cover this distance in about 7 minutes.

As I pass Walmart, the distance between traffic stops increases so I can run for a longer time without having to worry about stopping and looking out for traffic.This is about the time I encounter a flock of geese who seem rather bemused by my frantic activity or so I would like to believe. As the scenery gradually changes from a series of malls to open fields, I immediately feel overcome by a desire to run further than the last time. I usually try to keep the one way time to around 30 mins... its tempting to run further but I remind myself that I have an equal distance to cover back.

In a one hour run , I am currently covering around 6 miles... the idea is to increase this to abt 7 in a couple of months time.

This week I covered about 25 miles in 5 days of running. 25 miles of sheer happiness

Signing off for the week

Like they say
" Well begun is half done"

No comments:

Post a Comment